Nonresident Alien (NRA)

By |2013-09-23T16:24:54+00:00September 23rd, 2013|

A person who is not a citizen of the United States or does not maintain a tax residence within the country. NRAs are subject to special tax consideration. NRAs also include foreign fiduciaries, foreign partnerships, and foreign corporations. Form W-8 (BEN, ECI, EXP, IMY) has to be obtained from all persons claiming NRA status. For individuals, Form W-8 BEN will generally be the appropriate form. Payments to properly documented NRAs are generally exempt from IRS 1099 reporting and backup withholding rules. However the tax law requires 30% NRA withholding rate. Special Internal Revenue Code (IRC) provisions or income tax treaties may reduce or eliminate this withholding. Note: The old IRS Form W-8 will expire on December 31, 2000. You must file a new Form W-8 (BEN, ECI, EXP, IMY) before January 1, 2001, to be treated as an NRA.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Premium gift for you for registering for my newsletter

I am a member of Syndicated Columnists, a national organization committed to a fully transparent approach to money.

Interested in additional information? Register for my FREE bi-monthly newsletter, "Layin' it on the line." It contains information that other people have found beneficial. I will never sell your information.

For registering, I have a Premium Gift for you.

Our 15th edition, “Safe Money Book” a $20 value

77,000 copies in circulation

Learn the basics of a Safe Money approach to investing.

And it is FREE with your "Layin' it on the line" newsletter

About the Author:

Bill Broich is a well-known annuity expert with over 30 years of experience. He has written hundreds of articles on annuities and other financial topics, and has been a featured commentator on TV, Radio and the Internet.

Toll-Free: (360) 701-6209 | GVA, | Email: